Thursday, June 3, 2010

Angry, Frustrated, Vengeful? Either way the Conversation Must Go On!

I know for some of my friends/acquaintances, it is surprising how much time I am spending on the most recent Israel-Turkish spat. Please understand, it’s about understanding.

I know the wave of emotions that my Turkish friends are experiencing. Anger, frustration, shock, sadness. They are completely justified, expected -human.

I know the feeling, because I have experienced it on so many occasions. On 9/11, after the countless suicide bombings in Israel. After my friend was jumped, one Friday evening, and beaten mercilessly by five bat wielding thugs, screaming anti-Semitic epithets. Yes, the anger was palpable. I wanted vengeance, I wanted to hate, I felt vindicated in the explosion of carnal-rage –fury!

Yes, hate, targeting a specific group/groups. Blacks, Jews, Arabs, Muslims... But then you walk into your classroom, into work, or your friend calls you. This person being Muslim…
Your friend comes from THAT group. Is he/she and exception “they are different”? Or do “they” represent a true reflection of a significant and righteous segment of a given group?

Under certain circumstances hate is normal and even justified, but it should not permanently cloud the individuals thoughts. Of course the hate is there. I see it in my own community, and others tell me about it in their communities. I know this because I make it my business to communicate with others, not to convince them or even influence them, but because I like to understand other perspectives.

Let us not criticize others for feeling the way they do, even if we think that ONLY our strong feelings are justified. Let us not be surprised that Turkey, following this recent incident, is almost unanimous in their expression. After all, was our media or congress explaining 9/11 right after it occurred, of course not! It was a time of necessary emotion, of unity of us vs. them.

Later we saw the true greatness of America (the day after their was already a peace demonstration in New York!), those who criticized -were allowed to criticize- the war. Those that offered us a difficult perspective, whether we agreed with it or not, one that went against the consensus, one that may of ringed of ancient lies and hate.

Of course 9/11 can never be compared to the recent events. I use it only to provide a perspective, to understand.

I say let Turkey grieve. If there is evidence that Erdogan/Iran were behind this we can only hope that Turkey will have its own 9/11 commission. Either way the conversation must go on!

No comments:

Post a Comment