Monday, March 24, 2014

Tai Chi and the Tale of the Mirror

In my quest for greater focus in my life and studies I decided to take the advice of leading neurologists. They suggest that the brain can be made to grow by learning something new (see Charlie Rose on the brain/mind, and "The Brain in Love", PBS). The science points to, amongst other things, exercise that requires eye-body coordination, think ping-pong. I, however, decided to study Tai Chi. So I started attending a class with Master Lin of Park Slope.

The first thing he said was "stare into the hand like it is a mirror". This admonition was followed by "breath through the nose". Finally another intermission explaining why he was teaching me "this" form. It, he explained, hearkened back to Mao Zedong, who gathered all the Tai Chi masters of China and told them to choose a form that was most suitable for international promotion of Chinese culture. This was the form he began to teach me.

But back to the "stare into the hand like a mirror", what does that mean?
What is the purpose of a mirror? Is it to see ones flaws, as a first step towards improvement or does the mirror serve to affirm ones vanity precluding correction?
Also, why the hand? Is this some form of unconscious palm-reading, or is the hand just a convenient place to stare?
Finally, why should I "stare" why not glance peripheral-like?

I'm sure if I ask Master Lin, he will have a profound explanation, perhaps drawing on arcane Confucius or Taoist philosophies. On the other hand...

On the other hand, if the hand is like a mirror then by staring at the hand you should be able to see your self.

The above proposition can be understood metaphorically or literally.

Metaphorically, through the hand (Tai Chi means Supreme Ultimate Fist), you can achieve health for the whole body.

Or literally, the hand is not separate from the self, it is only a label we use to explain its geography and function. We can stare at the hand and see ourselves because the hand IS our self (If we cut the hand then pain may shoot throughout the body, blood from all parts of the body flow towards the cut etc.).

Indeed to love your fellow like yourself, because they ARE you. (see november 2009 post,"to not love your neighbor like yourself")

But, when I stare at my hand I don't see myself, yet with a carless glance the mirror in my room offers me a clear visual. Which is the true reflection of the self, the superficial glance or the contemplative stare?

To see your individuality, your perceived flaws and virtues, glance at the mirror on the wall.
To recognize the unifying factor stare at the hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment