Monday, July 12, 2010

Poetry With An Explanation: "Ever Been on a Blind Date on Steroids?"

Have you ever been on a blind date?

How about a shidduch date?

Which do you prefer?

The former, is set up by friends or,

has its genesis in a wink on one “date” site or the other.

They tell me,

as I have never experienced an ordinary blind date,

that you should have no expectations.

Mature means mother.

Pretty means nice.

Nice means…

After all can you trust,

a person to be honest about themselves

or a friend to be aware of their misguided motivations?

Is the latter any different than the former?

How so?

Perhaps it is the source.

A relative who has vetted the person for you

Done the research and decided

“I have a good feeling about this one.”

I am powerless, a man

used to the ways of nature

is now subjected to another’s subjective

Interpretation of the self, by the other.

Where do you meet a spouse or a long term intimate friend? Some go to the club and are satisfied for the moment. Others go to the library and are too timid to approach or are “ignored” for a book. Our friends, especially the ones who just got into a serious-relationship/married fell like they are now experts and found the perfect one for you. Don’t get me wrong most of my friends met their spouses through friends. My best friends met his wife at a party in my apartment. But for those not governed, or not wishing, to be governed by providence…

For the religious person there is an ostensibly unique approach. Here an individual, you, makes an active decision to allow someone else to actively search for your mate. A complete loss of pro-active power, no initiative required. Some in an effort to regain power reject, out of a state of confusion, or even immaturity. Others jump on every opportunity, after all my relative would never set me up with what they perceive to be what I want.

Don’t get me wrong I am not projecting resentment.

Just curious observations

It IS interesting.

So does the blind date differ from the shidduch date?

Is it not a matter of managing expectations?

If that’s the case the difference is not the type of date

but rather the reason why you agree to go on the date.

In the blind date your expectations are “blind”.

In the shidduch date your expectations are on steroids.

Justly so?

I don’t think so.

Semantics at play,

no difference,

just the label?

Ok.

So maybe we should just call it, I don’t know…

a blind date on steroids?

No comments:

Post a Comment